Michael Jaco was born and raised in Columbia, South Carolina. At 18 years old he enlisted in the United States Navy in November 1978. He started his career as a Navy Hard Hat Diver and served on the USS Florican until he volunteered for Basic Underwater Demolition/Sea Air and Land (BUD/S) training in August 1981. He completed BUD/S training 6 months later with class 116 in February 1982. He served as a Navy SEAL with the following commands:
- SEAL TEAM – 5
- SEAL TEAM – 6
- Naval Special Warfare Development Group
- Naval Special Warfare Training Center (BUD/S) 1st phase.
- Naval Special Warfare Training Center (Advanced Training)
- Naval Special Warfare Unit – 1 (Guam)
- SEAL TEAM – 3
- United States Naval Academy
- SEAL TEAM – 4
While serving with these different commands he acquired the following skills
- Combat fighting course (Originator/Head Instructor)
- Close Quarters Battle (Instructor)
- Combat Swimmer (Instructor)
- Lead Climber (Instructor)
- Range Safety Officer for: Demolitions, Small Arms Range, and CQB
- Freefall Parachutist
- Master Training Specialist
- Jump Master
- Dive Supervisor
- PADI Instructor for: Open water, Advanced, Rescue, Divemaster
- Assistant Instructor, Wreck,Search, Deep and Nitrox Diver.
- Tracking (Instructor)
- Tom Brown’s Tracking, Survival and Awareness Classes (14)
- Jungle Environmental Survival Training
- Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape
- Combat Action in the Panama Invasion
In addition to these skills he maintains a high level of physical fitness by training, and competing in bodybuilding contests. He holds the following Medals and Ribbons of note:
- 3 Navy Commendation Medals
- Joint Achievement Medal
- Navy Achievement Medal
- Combat Action Ribbon
- 6 Good Conduct Awards
- Expert Pistol Medal
- Expert Rifle Medal
- He also holds 7 other various Ribbons
He is an expert at accomplishing the impossible and creating courses and training that were never accomplished or levels of achievement thought impossible to attain in the SEAL community. Of Note:
- The first ever Hand to Hand/Combat Fighting course for the SEAL .Teams
- The first climbing course at a SEAL Team
- The most comprehensive Close Quarter Combat (CQC) pre-deployment workup course ran at a SEAL Team.
He achieved many achievements throughout his 24-year career and retired in December 2002.
After retirement from the SEAL teams Michael started his own training organization in which he trains people in tactical awareness skills. In November of 2003 Michael started overseas contract security work protecting government officials.
“The Intuitive Warrior” is Michael’s first work as an author and is the first in a planned trilogy.